By: Ben Davis
Crusty Every Day Bread
(makes 1-850 g loaf)
500 grams 4 cups) all-purpose flour
11 grams (2 tsp) fine sea salt
2 grams (3/4 tsp) instant yeast
195 ml (6.5 fl. oz) water at room temperature
87 ml (2.6 fl. oz) beer, use a lighter style like a pilsner, at room temperature
18 ml (1 tbsp) distilled white vinegar
1. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and yeast.
2. Add the water, beer and vinegar and stir with a spoon or spatula until a loose, ragged ball is formed. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough sit at room temperature overnight.
3. When you are ready to form the loaf, lightly spray a piece of parchment paper with cooking spray. Turn the dough on to the counter and form into a loose ball then transfer to the parchment and place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with a damp towel and place in the Wolf M or E Series oven in Proof mode, 85-92o, and allow to rise until doubled in bulk and a small indentation made with your knuckle remains depressed when gently pushed into the dough. Alternately the dough may be proofed at room temperature which may take up to 2 ½ hours to achieve the proper rise in the dough.
4. Dust the top of the loaf with some flour and then cut an X about ¼- ½” deep on the top of the loaf. Cover the pan and place in the oven in rack position 3. Set the oven to Convection mode, 425o and start to bake. When the oven reaches the target temperature, set the timer for 30 minutes.
5. When the timer sounds, remove the lid from the pan and insert the probe into the center of the bread. Set the probe target temperature to 210o and close the oven door. When the oven tells you that the probe temperature has reached its target remove the bread and cool on a rack. It is best if the bread can rest 2 hours before slicing.
If you own a Wolf Convection Steam oven (CSO), proof the dough as above except place it on the solid pan for the CSO with is lined with the parchment paper and sprayed with the cooking spray. When ready to bake you have two choices for baking the bread
- Place the tray in rack position 2 and select Quick Start/More/Auto Steam Bake. Select a temperature of 410oF. Set the duration of the bake to 48 minutes and then scroll over to start the baking process. This method will produce a dark loaf with a thick crust and moist interior.
- Place the tray in rack position 2 and select Quick Start/Gourmet/Baked Goods/Bread/Medium or Well Browned. Select enter to start the baking process. This method will produce a loaf with a slightly lighter crust both in texture and color with a slightly drier interior.d
Bread (6)appetizers (6)Vegetarian (5)vegetables (5)chicken (5)pork (4)griddle (4)Sauces & Dressings (4)Minneapolis (3)Sous Vide (3)Pizza (3)Beef (3)Salad (3)Cocktails (2)Brunch (2)Pasta (2)lamb (2)