By: Chef Allysa Adamson
Salty Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Makes About 2 ½ Dozen Cookies
1 stick, 4 ounces, unsalted butter
1 ¼ cup dark brown sugar or dark muscovado sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
¼ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
1 ½ cups bread flour
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 ½ cups dark chocolate, chopped
Sea salt flakes for dusting on top
1. Heat butter in a small saucepan on medium-low until it melts, then foams, and starts to smell nutty, and small brown bits start to settle on the bottom of the pan. Take it off the heat and pour it into a medium, heat-safe bowl to cool.
2. Add the oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla to the browned butter once it has slightly cooled. Whisk together until thoroughly blended. In another medium bowl, whisk together the bread flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Add the flour mixture to the brown butter mixture and using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula mix until combined. Add the chocolate to the batter and mix until evenly distributed. Place dough into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
3. When you’re ready to bake, preheat your Wolf oven to 375 degrees or 350 degrees on convection mode and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently roll 2 tablespoons of dough into a sphere. Place the dough balls on the covered baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
4. Take them directly from the freezer and onto any rack in the oven and bake for 10-14 minutes. Once done baking, sprinkle with sea salt flakes and let cool completely on the baking sheet.
5. If freezing cookies, leave the cookies in the freezer for two hours to freeze completely, and then put all dough balls in a gallon Ziplock baggie and store them in the freezer.
Vegetarian (9)Brunch (9)Breakfast (9)Vegetables (8)Minneapolis (7)Bread (7)Fish (6)Chicken (6)Griddle (6)Salad (5)Pork (5)Sauces & Dressings (4)Pizza (3)Sous Vide (3)Beef (3)Lamb (2)Cocktails (2)Pasta (2)Speed Oven (1)